Juneteenth Parade fills the streets of Austin, Texas

The Buffalo Soldiers stand formally waiting for the beginning of the Juneteenth Parade in Austin, Texas. They represent Black soldiers during the Civil War who helped to fight for the unification of the United States. (June 17, 2023)
Minh Hanh Nguyen

On June 17, 2023, at Martin Luther King Boulevard in Austin, Texas, trucks lined the street for one reason: they were waiting for the Juneteenth Parade. Decorations hung from all sides of the trucks and people filled the streets to watch the parade.

Members of the Revive the Culture band from Dallas unload their instruments to prepare for the Juneteenth Parade in Austin, Texas. The band consists of a variety of instruments, like saxophone, trombone, and trumpet, etc. (June 17, 2023) (Minh Hanh Nguyen)
Cornet player of the Revive the Culture band stretches his arm before the performance starts at the Juneteenth Parade in Austin, Texas. (June 17, 2023) (Minh Hanh Nguyen)
Saxophone players line up to warm up before their official performances at the Juneteenth Parade in Austin, Texas. The band gathers at the parade locations approximately one hour before the parade for preparations and set-up. (June 17, 2023) (Minh Hanh Nguyen)
Dancers of the Austin All-Star dance team dance to the tune played by their very own band at the Juneteenth Parade in Austin, Texas. The team consists of approximately 10 members from the Austin Independent School Districts High Schools. (June 17, 2023) (Minh Hanh Nguyen)
One of the many conductors in the Revive the Culture band helps to direct the players to make sure that all members are in synch during the Juneteenth Parade in Austin, Texas. All of their performances are directed by three conductors that stand to the left, right, and center of the bands. (June 17, 2023) (Minh Hanh Nguyen)
Trumpet players stand in line on the left side of the band to show off their practiced songs at the Juneteenth Parade in Austin, Texas. They are students from schools in Dallas who are part of the enrichment program organized by the Texas Supremacy of Music & Arts Conservatory. (June 17, 2023) (Minh Hanh Nguyen)
The center conductor of the Revive the Culture band flows with the music as he directs the orchestra at the Juneteenth Parade in Austin, Texas. The band consists of approximately 30 members with a variety of woodwind instruments. (June 17, 2023) (Minh Hanh Nguyen)
The Buffalo Soldiers stand formally waiting for the beginning of the Juneteenth Parade in Austin, Texas. They represent Black soldiers during the Civil War who helped to fight for the unification of the United States. (June 17, 2023) (Minh Hanh Nguyen)
The Buffalo Soldiers take the responsibility to lead the Juneteenth Parade in Austin, Texas, as they represented pride and strength. There are a total of six soldiers who take part in the parade. (June 17, 2023) (Minh Hanh Nguyen)
A mother and her son take part in the Juneteenth celebration in Austin, Texas, and have fun greeting the performers. The parade lasted about one hour and consisted of performers that are from the area and other states. (June 17, 2023) (Minh Hanh Nguyen)
The Austin Fire Department’s firefighters walk along the fire trucks and give out candy during the Juneteenth Parade. (June 17, 2023) (Minh Hanh Nguyen)
Children of the firefighters also have fun in attending the Juneteenth Parade in Austin, Texas. They help by giving out candies from the Austin Fire Department’s fire truck. (June 17, 2023) (Minh Hanh Nguyen)
Residents of Austin City give out candies from their own trucks as they drive through the street and greet the parade-goers at the Juneteenth Parade. (June 17, 2023) (Minh Hanh Nguyen)
A parade-goer smiles at the performers at the Juneteenth Parade in Austin, Texas. Despite the parade’s official start time being 10 a.m., many parade-goers have already shown up at 9:30 a.m. to check out the atmosphere. (June 17, 2023) (Minh Hanh Nguyen)
Students at the University of Texas at Austin also participate in the Juneteenth Parade. They wear group T-shirts that have the school’s mascot, Bevo, with the Juneteenth colors (red, yellow, and green). (June 17, 2023) (Minh Hanh Nguyen)
The performers march through the street at Martin Luther King Boulevard during the Juneteenth Parade in Austin, Texas. There were approximately 10 performances marching in lines together as part of the parade. (June 17, 2023) (Minh Hanh Nguyen)
A member of the Revive the Culture dance team walks in line with her teammates as part of the Juneteenth Parade in Austin, Texas, with a big smile. They perform for about two hours. (June 17, 2023) (Minh Hanh Nguyen)
Besides bands and residents, motorcyclists also take part in the parade in the Juneteenth Parade in Austin, Texas. In the near end of the event, about 20 motorcyclists drive across the boulevards and hype up the parade-goers. (June 17, 2023) (Minh Hanh Nguyen)

–July 10, 2023–